Friday, April 2, 2010

Weir Farm, Ridgefield, CT


Another stunning spring day here
in CT!! Spent the whole day with a
group of plein air artists at the historic Weir Farm in Ridgefield, CT. A light breeze kept the few bugs away. The forsythia were in bloom and a few daffodils. The tree groups in the forested areas still have their red veiled look. Wet ground and some puddles. I think I heard peepers all day! My favorite view was an apple tree against a stone wall with a huge puddle in front of it. Had I painted it, and I don't know why I didn't, the painting would have not had sky above, but sky in the puddle. High horizon. My friend, James, finished a challenging painting of Weir's studio and the meandering pathway through the field. I struggled to finish my watercolor . . . so tempting to cover the white spaces. I think my early design leaving the barn roof nearly white was a cleaner more exciting painting. But, the painting I finished shows the spring light and color. I may do another of the same scene and keep the graphic design simple but strong. Later in the day, I spent an hour sketching and planning for another trip to this magical place. I have morning sketches and late day sketches. Took some time lapsed images of the final painting and will post "the movie."

No comments:

Post a Comment